Ferulic acid is a potent natural, plant-based antioxidant that acts as a self-preserving, protective element for the fruit or plant. It is something that I look to use in an appropriate role in the production of my skin care products.
It is a naturally occurring AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acid) which can exfoliate the uppermost layers of skin when formulated correctly and is also part of the hydroxycinnamic acids family – a class of aromatic acids or phenylpropanoids.
Ferulic acid has come into the spotlight due to its free radical scavenging ability and its capability to synergistically boost the effectiveness of other antioxidants, such as Vitamins A, C, and E.
Like other antioxidants, ferulic acid is designed to reduce the aging effects that damaging free radicals have on our skin.
Benefits of Ferulic Acid in Skin Care Products:
- Assists in skin’s regeneration of healthy cells.
- Supports collagen production
- Helps to improve the skin’s natural barrier function
- Brightens the skin, improves texture & evens uneven skin tone
- Suitable for all skin types – particularly aging and sun damaged skin
- Works well as a preventative anti-aging product
- Protects overall skin integrity by reducing the development of fine lines, spots, and wrinkles
- Helps to stabilise and enhance the efficacy of Vitamin C and E
- Fights off free radicals!
Why Does Our Skin Loves Ferulic Acid?
Oxidative stress in the skin’s tissue is a key reason why our skin ages. This oxidative stress is caused by free radicals overtaking our skins antioxidant defence and can result in visible signs of aging such as wrinkles, dullness, age spots and loss of elasticity. It’s important to boost the levels of antioxidants in our skin, as they are there to fight free radicals and prevent damage from occurring in the first place.
In one study it suggests that ferulic acid has the potential to offer twice the amount of photoprotection when combined with Vitamins C and E. It was also noted that such antioxidant combinations could reduce someone’s risk of future photo-aging and, possibly, skin cancer, That makes these native limes even more exciting!